Meet Mortimer - my silkscreening final project. He's roughly... (upon just now measuring) 13+ feet tall from the top of the head to the end of his tentacles (yes, he has eight, plus the two extra squiddy ones).
The project was supposed to be large-scale, and I decided to create this based on a print that I made in Japan (but never posted, whoops). He's much larger than intended, hahahaha...but I've been wanting to do something like this for a while.
He's made of hand-dyed velour (the blue, the burgundy of the beak was purchased as-is), hand-dyed and dye-printed sateen (underside of tentacles), and a little fleece on the beak. The eyes are hand-made out of sculpey, which is on a bolt and attached in a fashion similar to regular doll eyes. His tentacle pattern is printed using dye-printing screenprinting techniques.
Find out more about the submarine and little fisherman in these detail shots:[link]
- Sub Details I[link]
- Sub Details II[link]
- Mort's face
The point of this piece is to be really adorable, mostly. The squid is supposed to be cute and playful, but in reality, it's a really scary experience for the people in the submarine!
He was a real challenge to make, as I've never worked with something this size (AND NEVER WILL AGAIN, my god). I wish his legs were showed off more, he seems a little cramped, but otherwise he would've been hard to fit into the picture. xD Mort here took about 3 boxes of 10-lb polyfill to fully stuff. I had to wrestle him a lot to get things attached - especially the legs. He was a very physical project, and I almost couldn't get him out the door to go to my crit!
My favorite parts are the doll eyes that I custom-made, and I thought the beak was really successful. Plus, 13-FOOT SQUID WHAT.
Overall I'm pleased, but I never want to do this again.
But anyway, this is part of the reason I haven't been around a lot, lately! Too busy falling asleep on squid sofas, you see.Actually, he's very comfy to lay on. Mmmm velour.
Thanks to ~bluucircles
for letting him stay at her apartment/helping me with pictures/helping me keep my sanity during this project.
Uhhhhm, I think I spent 3-4 weeks on this final project. I don't entirely remember!I'm sure I left something out, as it's so early. Hmmm.